- Would you like to make a game or an app for your phone?
- Are you interested in computers?
- Come to the STEMettes Summer Hack!
- You will create a game or an app – or come for two days and create both!
- Done some coding before? Our experts will teach you how to create games using Python.
What is a hackathon?
Hackathons aren’t about breaking into things! They’re about bringing people together to create amazing things using computers. We think it’s really sad that sometimes computer science isn’t taught in schools, so we want to give you guys the opportunity to explore and play about in the creative, exciting world of technology.
Who can attend?
- Girls, non-binary people and Women of all ages.
- Parents/Guardians. If you’re under 16, you’ll need to have an adult with you. On the plus side, we’d love it if they helped out with making your game or app!
- Women (and Men) with a STEM background and are interested in inspiring the next generation & female tech newbies.
Saturday 19th July, 9.30am-5:30pm
Sunday 20th July, 9.30am-5:30pm
We’ll be on the top floor of Winton Capital’s offices, on Hammersmith Grove, a short walk from Hammersmith station in West London. Upon arrival, report to reception to be registered and directed to the Hack.
What to bring?
Yourself and any great ideas you have.
If you have access to a mobile phone, bring it along with you.
We will provide everything else!
|10am||Icebreaker & event introduction with words from Winton Capital, Geekettes and Stemettes!|
|10.30am||Brief given and start projects!|
|3pm||Afternoon break with tours/tech demo!|
|10am||Icebreaker & day brief session with words from Winton Capital, Geekettes and Stemettes!|
|10:30am||Back to projects!|
|5pm||Prizes & close|
Tools we will be using
- Scratch – Online drag and drop tool for creating games
- MIT App Inventor – Online tool with visual programming element for creating Android apps drag and drop code.
- Python – High-level programming language. If you have coded before our experts will teach you how to make games in python.
Are you interested in helping children learn to code?
We are looking for adults who have a STEM background to help the girls learn to code and show them the range of possible careers you can do after studying STEM subjects. All you need to do is provide inspiration and help the girls with their projects when they get stuck.
We will provide food and reasonable transport costs to helpers.