- No previous coding experience necessary.
- Made an app before? Our experts will teach you python, a real programming language.
- Win prizes!
- Food and Laptops provided – just bring yourself!
- Completely FREE, thanks to our wonderful sponsors Starbucks, UK Youth and O2!
What is a hackathon?
Hackathons aren’t about breaking into things! They’re about bringing people together to create amazing things using computers. We think it’s really sad that programming isn’t taught in schools, so we want to give you guys the opportunity to explore the world of technology.
Who can attend?
- Girls and Women aged 9 to 21.
- Parents/Guardians. If you’re under 16, you’ll need to have an adult with you. On the plus side, we’d love it if they helped out with making your game or app!
- Women (and Men) with a STEM background and are interested in inspiring the next generation. (see below for more details)
When is it?
- Saturday 17th August 10am-5pm
- Sunday 18th August 11am-4:30pm
Where is it?
We’ll be in the Fountain Room at the Barbican Centre in the City of London. Enter by the Silk Street entrance, walk past the box office, turn right and you’ll see us on the left.
Full address: Silk St London, Greater London EC2Y 8DS.
Fountain Room, Barbican Centre, London
What will I need to bring?
- Yourself and any great ideas you have.
- If you want to make a phone app bring a phone if you have one.
- We will provide everything else.
- 10:00 Arrival. Settle in. Drinks and snacks provided.
- 10:30 Introduction to the projects
- 11:00 Start Projects
- 1:00 Lunch
- 3:00 Break
- 5:00 Home time
- 11:00 Arrival. Continue projects.
- 1:00 Lunch
- 2:30 Finish Projects.
- 3:00 Present projects (5 mins each) *Press invited
- 3:45 Prizes
- 4:30 Home time
Are you interested in helping children learn to code?
We are looking for adults who have a STEM background to help the girls learn to code and show them the range of possible careers you can do after studying STEM subjects.
All you need to do is provide inspiration and help the girls with their projects when they get stuck.
We will provide food and reasonable transport costs to all helpers.
Tools we will be using
- Scratch – Create games with simple drag and drop code.
- App Inventor – Create apps for android phones with drag and drop code.
- Python – If you have coded before our experts will teach you how to make games in python.
This event is sponsored by Starbucks, UK Youth and O2.
We’re being graciously hosted by HackTheBarbican, the Barbican and The Trampery.