Stemettes recognises that organisations like ours and the ones we work have a responsibility to the environment – locally, regionally and globally. We are committed to and enjoy finding ways to reduce the environmental impact of our work, both in the office and when working away from it. We’re also committed to promoting the understanding of sustainability in its broadest context in the way we conduct our work – encouraging beneficiaries, partners, suppliers and stakeholders to do the same.
Our CEO, Anne-Marie Imafidon is responsible for ensuring that this sustainability policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
Under the following headings, we’ll ensure the reduction of environmental impact, incorporation of environmental factors into business decisions and continual improvement of our environmental performance.
- We will run a paperless office as much as possible, only using paper for situations that legally require it with no alternative. For example, wet signatures on official documents. All invoices and quotes will be sent via email as PDF files.
- We will reduce packaging as much as possible.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products when they have to be purchased.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
- We will evaluate if the need can be met in another way, digitally or by sharing resources with stakeholders
- We will evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase, favouring more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- We will recycle equipment that is no longer of use to the organisation. For example, giving away items such as computers and printers that we no longer use.
- We will seek to keep our energy consumption as low as possible. For example, switching off lights and electrical equipment when not in use and using low energy lightbulbs.
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will promote and normalise the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail, telephone, conference calls or video conferencing.
- We will make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
- We will use low impact transport for travel to and from work and travel for business, where possible. For example, we use public transport to attend meetings and offer a Cycle Scheme to encourage staff to cycle to work or to carpool.
- We will use the most eco-friendly method when travelling abroad.
Maintenance & Cleaning
- We will use environmentally friendly cleaning materials and cleaning services as much as possible.
- We will use environmentally friendly material for office refurbishment where possible. For example, making use of secondhand furniture.
- We will only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
- We will reuse and recycle everything we are able to – having a recycling bin alongside our regular waste bin, and where possible composting organic matter.
- We will involve staff, beneficiaries and stakeholders in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance. For example, reducing the use of single use plastics at our events.
- We will update this policy at once annually in consultation with staff and stakeholders, reviewing this policy with at management meetings.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training, whilst working with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
- We will continually improve and reduce environmental impacts by incorporating environmental factors into business decisions.
We will comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
We will continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
Last Reviewed : 01/07/2020
Next Review : 01/07/2021