Stemettes runs several intersectional cohort programmes, impactful events, and inspirational content platforms to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) related careers to girls and young non-binary people. We enable young people, their parents and other influencers to see the possibilities and make an informed decision about STEM careers – in a bid to boost the number of women in the UK’s STEM workforce.
We have supporters in the UK Government, industry employers (such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Vodafone, and Deutsche Bank) and fellow STEM outreach organisations. We’ve been featured in Forbes, the BBC, the Guardian, the Observer, the Times and the Huffington Post. Since our inception in February 2013, we have given more than 50,000 young people across the UK and Europe positive experiences with STEM.
Our ethos is…
- The girls & young people come first
- We favour ‘hot’* interactions
- Everyone on the team needs to be a ‘doer’
- We don’t do boring – we have fun
- A belief that the STEM diversity problem is pretty serious and has huge implications
*hot’ as defined in the King’s College London ASPIRES report.