We're a small organisation with growing reach and sometimes a growing team. From time to time there are opportunities for freelancers, contractors and full-timers to come on board and join us to provide a greater provision of the unique things we do.
Stemettes runs a number of intersectional cohort programmes, impactful events, and inspirational content platforms to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) related careers to girls and nonbinary young people. We enable young people, their parents and other influencers to see the possibilities and make an informed decision about STEM careers - in a bid to boost the number of women in the UK’s STEM workforce.
We have supporters in the UK Government, industry employers (such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Vodafone, and Deutsche Bank) and fellow STEM outreach organisations. We've been featured in Forbes, the BBC, the Guardian, the Observer, the Times and the Huffington Post. Since our inception in February 2013, we have given more than 50,000 young people across the UK and Europe positive experiences with STEM.
- The girls & young people come first
- We favour 'hot'* interactions
- Everyone on the team needs to be a 'doer'
- We don't do boring - we have fun
- A belief that the STEM diversity problem is pretty serious and has huge implications
Apply for our open position below. We are committed to intersectionality and inclusivity so we welcome candidates of all backgrounds and genders. Employees are entitled to 25 days annual leave (not including bank holidays) and other benefits as well as learning opportunities. The below roles are currently for UK-based candidates only.
About the ‘Mentoring Stemette’ role
We are looking for someone to manage our mentoring programme for over 15s on full-time / flexi-time 12 month contract - with the possibility of converting to a full-time role as the programme expands. We require someone to competently co-ordinate the opportunities we are offering to our Student Stemette base, whilst ensuring volunteers feel supported in their mentoring journey. This role is equivalent to a Mentoring Programme Co-ordinator.
Stemettes is an exciting, disruptive young organisation with a supportive and passionate Board of Directors and a strong aim to change mindsets and social norms for girls, nonbinary people and STEM.
As a result, we are seeking someone with an equally high degree of passion and pro-activity. Stemettes regularly has the opportunity to interact with industry leaders, influencers and media around the world and where necessary Mentoring Stemette will have the opportunity to participate in these interactions.
- Managing mentor-mentee relationships and being the main point of contact for all programme participants
- Organising (and hosting) a series of matching sessions, programme check-in calls and speed networking session on our online platforms
- Tracking progress of each mentoring pair and ensuring that surveys and feedback have been completed, as well as maintaining an issues log
- Administration and recording of participant progress from application, to onboarding, to mentoring, to programme graduation, using tools like Excel/Google Sheets and Airtable
- Interviewing programme applicants to build a rapport with them, and to communicate qualitative impact with programme partners
- Experience working on youth projects or a mentoring programme - this is not an entry-level role
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English - both written and spoken - with people from different backgrounds
- Strong work ethic and ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to Multi-task
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Support the Stemettes commitment to giving young people great STEM experiences and helping them make informed career decisions.
- Experience using any of the following: Google Sheets/Excel, Airtable, Remo, Microsoft Teams, Calendly, Google Docs/Word, Trello
- Confidence using digital tools
- Prior experience of a mentoring programme (co-ordinating or participating)
You will report to Operations Stemette Yasmin Lodhi and manage volunteers who participate in the mentoring programme. You will not directly manage other staff members but will work closely with our Apprentice Stemette to ensure that the necessities for the mentoring programme are met and understood by all members across the team.
We will pay a salary of 25-29K plus expenses to the successful candidate. The contract will be in line with experience and capabilities, reflecting Stemette Futures’ charitable status and expectations from our partners. You will mostly work from home but on occasion will need to come to travel within the UK, or visit our base in London.
Applications for this role open on 11th August and will continue until a successful candidate is found. The start date is mid September 2021.
Apply with your CV and answers to the following questions HERE: https://airtable.com/shr8QcwAqW2zRSnZE
What would make you a good Mentoring Programme Officer? (max 200 words)
What experience have you had that you can bring to this role? (max 200 words)
Why is this role something you’d like to do now? (max 200 words)
Why is this organisation one you’d like to join now? (max 200 words)
Why are you suited to a customer facing role? (max 200 words)
Anything else you think we should know? (can include links to previous work or something you’re proud of, max 50 words)
What dish/food best represents you? (max 100 words)
Recruitment for this role has been paused as we shift to a new normal. We'll review this again in September 2021.
About the ‘Workshop Stemette’ role
We are looking for freelancers to work on our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme as workshop facilitators. We are growing very quickly and require people to run day-long experiences for girls, guardians and women in STEM to work on challenges and share knowledge about STEM careers.
Workshop Stemettes will be a part of a team of freelancers and volunteers. Stemettes is an exciting, disruptive young organisation with a supportive and passionate Board of Directors and strong aim to change mindsets and social norms for girls and STEM.
As a result we are seeking someone with an equally high degree of passion and pro-activity. Stemettes regularly has the opportunity to interact with industry leaders, influencers and media around the world and where necessary Workshop Stemettes will have the opportunity to participate in these interactions.
- Facilitating ‘Stemettes & Schools’ sessions at our STEM industry partners
- Impact measurement on the ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme
- Occasional Curriculum, Playbook and Training creation for our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ workshops
- General administration & facilitation for our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ workshops
- Support the Stemettes commitment to giving girls great STEM experiences and helping them make informed career decisions.
- outgoing persona to inspire, encourage and include young participants
- understanding of the STEM industry
- confidence with social media
- strong work ethic
- demonstrable ability to multi-task
- strong interpersonal skills to communicate with under engaged girls
You will report to Head Stemette and may work alongside volunteers who participate on the ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme. You will not directly manage other staff members but will ensure that the necessities for the S&S programme are met and understood by all members across the team.
We will pay a fixed rate per day plus expenses with successful candidates. Dates will be pre-agreed and Workshop Stemettes will be given a minimum of 2 weeks notice ahead of running workshops. The overall contract will be in line with experience and capabilities, reflecting Stemettes not-for-profit status and expectations from our partners. You will be mostly mobile. Expect an average of 2 workshops a month.
More details here »
Why work for us?
- We're a diverse and inclusive team that respect each other, support each other and work hard to build each other up
- We work flexibly and have several members of the team who work remotely across the UK.
- We pay above the Living Wage
- We match Pension Contributions up to 8% for employees
- We have enhanced Parental Pay & Leave policies
- We're one of the first companies in the UK to have a Menstrual Leave Policy
- You'll get access to Headspace, Reward Me Now and a host of other benefits, as well as copious amounts of free food
- We have scheduled Buddy time each week, as well as Stemettes Team Social Time
- During lockdowns each employee gets 1 Pandemic Wellbeing Day Off for every 10 days worked
'hot' as defined in the Kings College London ASPIRES report.