We're a small organisation with growing reach and sometimes a growing team. From time to time there are opportunities for freelancers, contractors and full-timers to come on board and join us to provide a greater provision of the unique things we do.
Stemettes runs a number of intersectional cohort programmes, impactful events, and inspirational content platforms to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) related careers to girls and nonbinary young people. We enable young people, their parents and other influencers to see the possibilities and make an informed decision about STEM careers - in a bid to boost the number of women in the UK’s STEM workforce.
We have supporters in the UK Government, industry employers (such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Vodafone, and Deutsche Bank) and fellow STEM outreach organisations. We've been featured in Forbes, the BBC, the Guardian, the Observer, the Times and the Huffington Post. Since our inception in February 2013, we have given more than 50,000 young people across the UK and Europe positive experiences with STEM.
- The girls & young people come first
- We favour 'hot'* interactions
- Everyone on the team needs to be a 'doer'
- We don't do boring - we have fun
- A belief that the STEM diversity problem is pretty serious and has huge implications
Apply for our open positions below. We are committed to intersectionality and inclusivity so we welcome candidates of all backgrounds and genders. Employees are entitled to 25 days annual leave (not including bank holidays) and other benefits as well as learning opportunities. The below roles are currently for UK-based candidates only.
About the ‘Marketing Stemette’ role
We are looking for someone to manage some of the Marketing for Stemettes on a full-time / flexi-time 12-month contract - with the possibility of converting to a full-time role as our programmes expand. We require someone to competently create, schedule and post content and curate relationships with partner organisations to ensure they can access Stemette opportunities. This role is equivalent to a Marketing Officer or Marketing Executive.
Stemettes is an exciting, disruptive young organisation with a supportive and passionate Board of Directors and a strong aim to change mindsets and social norms for girls, nonbinary people and STEM.
As a result, we are seeking someone with an equally high degree of passion and pro-activity. Stemettes regularly has the opportunity to interact with industry leaders, influencers and media around the world and where necessary Marketing Stemette will have the opportunity to participate in these interactions.
- Co-ordination of content on our Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook channels
- Curation of Newsletters
- Responding to requests from youth and STEM organisations, including schools and community groups
- Reaching out to groups in particular geographical regions to engage them in our programmes
- Assist with visuals
- Contribute to social media engagement and brand awareness campaigns
- Contribute to ongoing website work
- Undertake market research and establish the best way to reach target audiences
- Support Stemettes' commitment to giving young people great STEM experiences and helping them make informed career decisions.
- Marketing experience, this is not an entry-level position
- Excellent spelling and grammar; Strong Written Communication Skills
- Attention to detail as well as proofreading and editorial skills
- Knowledge of Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects at the same time
- Time Management and Prioritisation Skills
- Digital Marketing experience
- Knowledge of Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics and Google AdWords
- Knowledge of Hootsuite, Google Sheets/Excel, Trello, Airtable
You will report to Operations Stemette Yasmin Lodhi and work closely with Comms Stemette. You will not directly manage other staff members but will work closely with our Apprentice Stemette to ensure that our work and ethos is well and widely communicated.
We will pay a salary of 25-29K plus expenses to the successful candidate. The contract will be in line with experience and capabilities, reflecting Stemette Futures’ charitable status and expectations from our partners. You will mostly work from home but on occasion will need to come to travel within the UK, or visit our base in London.
Applications for this role opened on 1st March and will remain open until we hire a suitable candidate. The start date is ASAP. Apply here now.
- What would make you a good Marketing Officer? (max 200 words)
- What experience have you had that you can bring to this role? (max 200 words)
- Why is this role something you’d like to do now? (max 200 words)
- Why is this organisation one you’d like to join now? (max 200 words)
- Which Analytics platforms do you like to work with? Why? (max 200 words)
- Anything else you think we should know? (can include links to previous work or something you’re proud of)
- What dish/food best represents you? (max 100 words)
Recruitment for this role has been paused as we shift to a new normal. We'll review this again in September 2021.
About the ‘Workshop Stemette’ role
We are looking for freelancers to work on our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme as workshop facilitators. We are growing very quickly and require people to run day-long experiences for girls, guardians and women in STEM to work on challenges and share knowledge about STEM careers.
Workshop Stemettes will be a part of a team of freelancers and volunteers. Stemettes is an exciting, disruptive young organisation with a supportive and passionate Board of Directors and strong aim to change mindsets and social norms for girls and STEM.
As a result we are seeking someone with an equally high degree of passion and pro-activity. Stemettes regularly has the opportunity to interact with industry leaders, influencers and media around the world and where necessary Workshop Stemettes will have the opportunity to participate in these interactions.
- Facilitating ‘Stemettes & Schools’ sessions at our STEM industry partners
- Impact measurement on the ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme
- Occasional Curriculum, Playbook and Training creation for our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ workshops
- General administration & facilitation for our ‘Stemettes & Schools’ workshops
- Support the Stemettes commitment to giving girls great STEM experiences and helping them make informed career decisions.
- outgoing persona to inspire, encourage and include young participants
- understanding of the STEM industry
- confidence with social media
- strong work ethic
- demonstrable ability to multi-task
- strong interpersonal skills to communicate with under engaged girls
You will report to Head Stemette and may work alongside volunteers who participate on the ‘Stemettes & Schools’ programme. You will not directly manage other staff members but will ensure that the necessities for the S&S programme are met and understood by all members across the team.
We will pay a fixed rate per day plus expenses with successful candidates. Dates will be pre-agreed and Workshop Stemettes will be given a minimum of 2 weeks notice ahead of running workshops. The overall contract will be in line with experience and capabilities, reflecting Stemettes not-for-profit status and expectations from our partners. You will be mostly mobile. Expect an average of 2 workshops a month.
More details here »