Stemettes runs several intersectional cohort programmes, impactful events, and inspirational content platforms to promote Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths (STEAM) related careers to girls, young women and non-binary young people. We enable young people, their parents and other influencers to see the possibilities and make an informed decision about STEAM careers – in a bid to boost the number of women in the UK’s STEAM workforce.
We have supporters in the UK Government, industry employers (such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch) and fellow STEAM outreach organisations. We’ve been featured in Forbes, the BBC, the Guardian, the Observer, the Times and the Huffington Post. Since our inception in February 2013, we have given more than 60,000 young people across the UK and Europe positive experiences with STEAM.
Our ethos is…
- The girls & young people come first
- We favour ‘hot’* interactions
- Everyone on the team needs to be a ‘doer’
- We don’t do boring – we have fun
- A belief that the STEM diversity problem is pretty serious and has huge implications
*hot’ as defined in the King’s College London ASPIRES report.