Instead of looking at all of the things on your to-do list, re-evaluate what you have to do by considering what will get you to your goal and what will bring you the most joy (this is what you should be focusing on!).
You can look at it this way: your focus is where you make the most progress. When we focus on the one thing we need to do to get where we want to go, it looks a lot like shooting an arrow. The arrow moves quickly, and in one direction, and then hits the desired target. Also, every time you fire the arrow you have a better chance of hitting the bullseye, just like you have a better chance of reaching your goal when you direct your focus!
On the other hand, when you cannot focus on what you need to do, things look more like a scribble. There is no direction, no sense to be made and things are all over the place- even though you are still using your energy.
So, how can we focus and reach our goals?
- To begin, think of one thing you really want to focus on and make it a goal.
- Tell yourself, out loud, that you WILL do it.
- Give yourself a deadline.
- Write down how you will do it and put this into place.
- Tell a friend or family member about your goal, as they will be able to hold you accountable!
- Be brave and commit to taking steps towards your goal.