We’ve all been there- using passwords simple passwords because we don’t have much time or don’t have the energy. These passwords, however easy they are to use, are also very easy to guess for hackers. Because of this, it is important to make sure our passwords are as safe as possible, find out how below!
Some hackers, known as black coat hackers, may use brute force attacks to crack our passwords, which occurs when the attacker will keep guessing your password using software that runs typical passwords until it finds the right one. In other circumstances, a hacker may use a concept known as social engineering. This is when a hacker manipulates you into giving the password when you otherwise would not give it.
So, now you know how passwords can be found, let’s find out how we can keep them safe…
- Don’t use the same password for more than one account. For example, make sure your Facebook password is different from your Instagram password because once a hacker knows your password, they will try them across all accounts.
- Reset your passwords regularly. This means that if an old password is guessed, it has been updated anyway so a hacker cannot access your account.
- Use 3 random words. If a hacker knows you personally or can access your social media profiles, they may be able to guess your password if it means something to you.
- Use upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. The more complicated- the better!
- Use password managers. A safe password can be hard to remember, especially many of them across different accounts. So, using a safe password manager may help.